Myths About Birth Photography
As a birth photographer, I hear many reasons people decided against hiring someone to capture their birth. And then I hear why the regret that choice! So let me dispel some of these long-standing myths.
- "I won't look good in birth photos". This is THE number one reason I hear from moms who didn't hire a birth photographer. Listen, birth can be many things, and you may not be in full makeup with your hair perfectly done. But you are going to see power, grace, beauty, grit, joy, determination, connection, love, strength, and one of the most beautiful forms of yourself that you will ever have the opportunity to see. Birth photographers are trained specifically to capture all of the minute details of the day your baby is born, use angles that will help to showcase your features in ways that feel flattering to you, and will allow you to immerse yourself in your baby's birthday. There is so much beauty in birth, and there is absolutely beauty in YOUR birth.
- "I don't need a birth photographer because my partner (or parent, or sister, or friendly neighbor) can take photos for me". They can! But they shouldn't... Hear me out - would you have those people photograph your wedding? Probably not. Why? Because first and foremost, they should be part of your day and in front of the camera with you. And, just like weddings, births are a horse of their own color. No two births are alike, but there are minute details and little moments that I have been specifically trained to seek out and capture. You can't reschedule your baby's birthday so it's important to have a professional there to capture all the moments you didn't even know existed. Your birthing partner should be entirely focused on you, not trying to fumble with their camera or phone! Hiring a birth photographer allows you to be fully and completely present in your birth journey without worrying about missing a thing.
- "I can't afford a birth photographer". There is no doubt, birth photography is an investment. There are several ways to help manage the expense and allow you the opportunity to have these precious keepsakes. I offer payment plans and gift registries so that family and friends can contribute to a meaningful gift that you will look back on through your lifetime. My recommendation is to book your photographer (that's me!) sooner than later to allow more time to satisfy the fee. When looking at your booking options, photographers often have discounts for booking multiple sessions - ask about Baby Bundles!
- "I just don't want a bunch of pictures of my vagina". Your birth story is about SO much more than vagina shots! I work with my clients to discover what kinds of images they are hoping to receive. If you do not want graphic photos, they will not be included in your gallery. If you want all the gritty details, I will work to capture all the gritty details. I don't blush easily, so let's talk about it! Let me help you capture your baby's birthday in a way that is meaningful and emotional for you. Birth stories encompass so much more than just images of genitals. It's about the struggle and triumph of bringing your baby into the world. It's about your connection with your partner and birth team. It's about the moment when you realize 'I DID IT!' and get to meet your child for the very first time. Birth is a journey unto itself, and memorializing that day has very little to do with your vagina!
- "I didn't hire a birth photographer for my other kids so I shouldn't hire one for this baby". If you want a birth photographer, hire a birth photographer! Whether this is your first, fifth, only, or last baby - your story is worth documenting. I didn't know that birth photography was even a thing when my daughter was born, but if I were to have another baby today? You bet your tush I would hire a birth photographer. Second baby syndrome can start later ;-)
If you are on the fence about hiring a birth photographer and have some hesitations that weren't addressed here, reach out to me! If you're not local to the Denver, Colorado area but love my work, reach out to me! I have become totally passionate about birth photography, but I completely understand that it is not everyone's cup of tea. If you haven't made up your mind and you just need a sounding board, I would be so happy to chat over a cup of coffee or tea. If you want a birth photographer but your partner is less enthusiastic - let's hop on a call and see if we can address their concerns. This is not a one-size-fits-all situation, and you need to feel confident in your decision. Stay tuned for more baby resources!